Monday, October 31, 2011

Nanowrimo

For those of you who do not know this, it stands for National Novel Writing Month. Which is November and begins in 2 hours and 18 minutes. This is a month where we who participate are challenged to write 50000 words in the month of November. This usually is not a complete novel but is a great start!!! They are supposed to be fiction works. Unfortunately the book I have been longing to write for the past 5 or 6 years is my own autobiography from my preteen and early teen years and the horrors of suicide and psychiatric hospitalization. I could still write it because no one really grades you on that. You just "win" if you hit the 50000 word mark.

However, I decided to write a book with short stories about the mentally ill. Loosely based on real encounters in my work as well as colleagues but fictitious characters and embellishing scenarios to make them either outlandish or comical or horrorish. I'm not even sure that is "legal" since it's lots of short stories rather than on long story with a plot.

I have met some awesome people here in my area who participate and they help motivate both online and in person. I am excited and feeling psyched that I can hit that 50000 word mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment